Benefits of Dental Floss
After braces installation, flossing will be more difficult to do because there are wires attached to every tooth. Some tools are needed to thread the floss through and under the braces.
Because our teeth have gaps between two adjacent teeth, this area is an easy spot where bacteria can get stuck. And if left unattended, it will turn into plaque and will be harder to remove by brushing and will put teeth in a greater risk of developing cause gingivitis. Therefore it is important to use dental floss on a daily basis at least once a day after brushing teeth before bed.
How to use dental floss
- Pull out about 12 inches of dental floss.
- Insert one side of the silk thread into the loop of the dental floss
- Insert the dental floss loop with dental floss under the braces.
- After the floss is under the braces remove dental floss loop
- Wrap the silk on the middle finger on both sides.
- Use the thumb and index finger to grasp the silk to have the length of the dental floss between each fingers of about 2 inches.
- Move the silk up and down slowly and enclose the teeth at the same time. Repeat 4-5 times per tooth (during the use of dental floss be careful when pulling because it may cut the gums and cause bleeding).
- Reposition the silk continuously and clean all the teeth.
- Dental floss should be used at least once every day before brushing in the evening.
Flossing teeth with braces may be more difficult and tedious, it is important to regularly floss to prevent form developing tooth decay, and create more problems in the future.
“Beautiful teeth, Bright smile, Quality service”
Dental Clinic, Orthodontic Clinic, Skytrain Dental Group